Saturday, October 16, 2010

Halloween craft

You can find this project at my favorite cooking blog, Our Best Bites. These took about 2 hours from start to finish, so I could have gotten to bed a little after 1 a.m., but I stayed up watching West Wing Season 2 (I'm a Wingnut). They turned out really cute, I think. I would have rather used purple for the vampire, but I didn't have any darker purple tissue paper (I did have a lilac color but I didn't think it would work). In retrospect, I would also put little bolts on the side of Frankenstein.


Frank, Hal, Ed, and Bob
 I have to admit, they look pretty cute in the normal room lighting just sitting out like this. At night, I think they would look fabulous with real tea lights, but this year, there is a 3-and-half-year-old BonnieBlue running around who is fascinated with fire, so I'm going to use battery-operated "tea lights" for our Halloween needs. Also, I have no idea if Mod Podge is flammable, and with my memory lapses of late, I'm sure to forget, leave the candles burning one night, and come home to find a pile of smouldering rubble. Fortunately, they look pretty cute with fake fire.


I'm going to try the glow sticks, too; I think that will look even cuter. I'm going to use a green glow stick for Frank, orange for Hal, etc.

By the way, when BonnieBlue saw these this morning, there was really no reaction. Perhaps next year she'll be impressed with  my craftiness.


The project supplies: glass jars (I'm going to try a plastic container soon to see if that works), Mod Podge, sponge brush, tissue paper, ribbon (or other trim-like material), and glue. One jar has the jar lid on top of tissue paper folded and glued on the lip of the lid, one has ribbon, one has black construction paper, and one has a gold-colored fabric trim ribbon. I used black tissue paper for the ghost's face, but I used black scrapbooking paper for the rest. I podged the jar first, laid 1-2" strips of tissue paper all around, and then when that dried a bit, podged all over again. After they dried, I glued on the faces with craft glue.

The big pumpkin is a jar I got at The Container Store about 4 months ago on a clearance shelf. It was 3 dollars, I think, because it didn't have the lid anymore. Frank is a Mason jar, Bob is a salad dressing jar, and Ed was made from a jar that had peaches in it. Crafty AND recycling!

I almost forgot! Here's my DCCR graph.

I think there is a little optical illusion going on with the bar graph. Today's bar looks a tad higher than yesterday's, but I had 23 ounces each day.

If you're wondering how I can post the graph when the day is only a little more than half over, here's why. I suffer from insomnia, whuch is aggravated when I drink ANY diet coke after 3 o'clock (used to be 7:00ish in my twenties, 5ish in my thirties, and now early afternoon in my forties). So, I almost never drink any diet coke after 3:30, unless I am desperately thirsty, and it's the only beverage available. It's not worth the tossing and turning later that night. Yesterday was the perfect example, as I had my second can of diet coke at 3:00 and wasn't tired enough to go to sleep until 3 a.m. Hence, the craft project.

This beautiful Saturday afternoon, BonnieBlue is with Grandma, and Rhett is with his brother at a gun show so I'm going to pull out the sewing machine and get started on the mystery Christmas quilt project. Booyah!

1 comment:

  1. Your jars turned out great. What about little white Christmas lights? They sell some short strings of them, which might be perfect. I put some in a square glass block, put a pumpkin face on it, and wrapped it in orange cellophane. Cute. I'll have to post photos of it sometime. Your graph is looking good. Nice going!

    ReplyDelete

Cool people occasionally stop by to say: