Monday, February 7, 2011

Easiest winter comfort food meal EVER!

Rhett's office had a birthday potluck a few weeks ago and he brought home some leftovers, including yummy chicken and noodles. I asked him to get the recipe for me and I was astounded at how easy the recipe was. I was also astounded that the cook put an entire stick of butter in the dish. No wonder it was so good! Anyway, a crock pot meal with only 4 ingredients that tastes this good is exactly what I need to add to my repertoire.

I find it critical to reduce the sugar and fat (especially animal fat) in any recipe, so here is my adjusted (to make it a bit healthier) recipe for:
 Crockpot Chicken and Noodles

Ingredients:
2-3 chicken breasts
3 14 oz cans of fat free chicken broth
3-4 Tbsn butter (preferably unsalted)
12-16 oz package Kluski noodles
Parsley to taste (fresh is sure to be better but I only have dried on hand; I used about 1 Tbsn)

Put chicken and broth in crockpot and cook on high for 3-4 hours (perfect timing for church!)

Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Put back in pot and add noodles and parsley.  Cook another 45-60 min (stir a couple of times within that time frame).

Sprinkle some more parsley on top to make it pretty (see picture).

After I took the picture, I decided to add spinach, an entire small bag (I always rinse spinach even though it says pre-washed...salmonella!). That made it a tad more healthy, though BonnieBlue objected to this addition vociferously. If you're going to add spinach, add it 30 min into the noodle cooking time.

This was a perfect meal for a snowy February day.

Here's a picture of the branch that came down in our backyard.


It was 2 a.m. on Feb. 1 or 2. I was up multi-tasking between work, watching youtube, and doing homework. I'm taking an online class about distance learning. I love this idea that I'm taking a class about teachin online...what is that called? It's not irony or symmetry...ugh...I'm losing my words.

Anyway, I was sitting at the dining room table with my back to the sliding glass window, and I heard the most ominous, scary cracking sound and turned around just in time to see this (though it was dark, the snow and light/moon reflection made it easy to see). I swear, I thought the tree was going to fall on the house. I woke up Rhett, but he didn't have the same concern and rolled over back to sleep. I spent the next hour unable to sleep even though I wanted to at that point.

Rhett already had the two trees in the front of the house removed but I've been fighting for this one (and the other you can see in the background). Well, actually, I fought for the front two, but lost. Now that this has happened, I can see the value in removing this one. But the one farther back is staying!

My friend, Mama Pea, lives in Michigan with lots of land. Oh, how I crave lots of land. Her daughter is going to have the most wonderful time growing up "in the country," I'm sure. Lucky. Someday, maybe my grandkids will come visit us on our hobby farm.

1 comment:

  1. When I live in the country I long for living in town for the conveniences. When I live in town, I long for living in the country so we can have animals (which we don't have now anyway). That looks like a really good dish and one even I could cook! I may have to add it to my repertoire, to! (I had to laugh at your comment about 3-4 hours about being perfect timing for church...for us Catholics, church is only an hour.) That crack had to be a scary sound!

    ReplyDelete

Cool people occasionally stop by to say: