Monday, August 22, 2011

Cornfetti - YUM!

This is my NEW ALL-TIME FAVORITE dish!

I was inspired by this recipe for corn salsa at thesimpledollar.com. But I also had some red peppers, zucchini, and onions on hand that needed to be used, and I'm all about compilations, so I adjusted. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures until I was packaging up the leftovers. So, I have one pic I'll save until the end.

Cornfetti
Ingredients:
1 red bell pepper
1 garden-fresh tomato
1 small onion
2 small zucchini
4 fresh ears of corn
2 t dried basil (I really need to grow a basil plant)
2 T olive oil
1T already chopped garlic or 2 cloves fresh (preferably, but I didn't have any handy)
1 small lime (I use a key lime)
2 pinches kosher salt
dash fresh ground pepper

1. Wash and chop all the veggies. Husk the corn, desilk as much as possible, wash, and shuck with a knife (see the simple dollar site for a picture and directions).

2. Heat the olive oil at medium (fyi, if you heat olive oil above medium it burns to a nasty flavor. If you need to brown something, use canola oil, which has a higher smoke point) and add the onion and garlic. After 2  or so minutes add the corn. Saute for 4-5 minutes.

3. While corn is sauteeing, add basil to remaining veggies and toss. Cut and squeeze the lime over veggies. Add them to corn, add salt and a dash of pepper, and sautee another 3 min.

EAT IT!  But don't burn your tongue. It actually tastes even better after it sits for a while.

 I made a bunch, and had a bunch leftover. We had ours with chicken quesadillas, and I had chicken leftover, so I chopped it up and added it to the leftover cornfetti. Lunch tomorrow!

I'm telling ya'. It tastes like summer!




1 comment:

  1. I'm not that much of a vegie eater, but that looks good.

    ReplyDelete

Cool people occasionally stop by to say: