Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Can it!

Rhett and I canned for the first time this past weekend.

Peaches were on sale for $50 for 5 pecks at a local (somewhat) fruit farm til Friday, so canning peaches this weekend was on the agenda!


FYI- This is a peck (minus a few I ate!)

We're ramping up on food storage and preparedness-related behaviors, so we were ready to try canning. Rhett has been buying canning jars for a few months now. Unfortunately, we didn't have a water bath canning pot and paraphanalia, nor did we think it would be hard to find one. We spent several hours and visited 7 stores on Saturday morning to find what we needed. Hence, we didn't start until 3 and didn't finish until about 11 p.m.

I'm not going to post a specific tutorial, because you need to be precise for something like this. But I did learn a few things. Like, blanching peaches doesn't guarantee that they will peel easily.


Rhett is my hand model.

Using a teapot to make the syrup speeds things along a bit and makes pouring it into the jars a lot easier. Also, I added the fresh fruit to the syrup instead of sprinkling it directly on the fruit.



And our new granite pot holds seven quart-size Ball jars.


And 4+ pecks of peaches makes about 12 quarts (and one pint) of canned peaches.


You might remember that I bought 5 pecks. Where did the others go? Peach cobbler! Recipe to follow in next blog.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you. I wish I had the time and energy to learn to can. It's a good skill to have. L's mom tells me it's easy. I need to take the time and go help her once so I can learn!

    ReplyDelete

Cool people occasionally stop by to say: