Sunday, August 15, 2010

Trying new things

One of the things I promised myself on this weight-loss journey go-round was to try new things. This month - yoga. Yoga is hard! Sore next day; a good sore. I used the Yoga for Dummies video. If you're new to yoga, I highly recommend it.

Rhett handed me the Belly Fat Cure by Jorge Cruz and asked me to read it and do it with him. I tire of low carb diets, though Cruz doesn't specifically call it low carb. His focus is on reducing sugar. Frankly, I find suspect any diet that asks you to restrict fruit. I also suspect any "diet" that encourages dairy (especially butter, cheese, and sour cream) and animal fats (i.e., meat).

Here's the thing: In his rationale, Cruz points out that our long-ago ancestors (he called them Stone-Agers) had diet needs that evolved due to the availability of certain food items and since our bodies haven't changed, our diet restrictions should be based on the Stone-Agers diet. And that's why we should not eat sugar, he says. Because other than a few berries, Stone-Agers didn't have access to sugar. Well, Jorge, I say the Stone-Agers didn't have access to cheese, butter, sour cream, yogurt, etc. either! If we're to eat like the Stone-Agers, we should be eating berries, tree fruits, lots and lots of grains and nuts in their whole-food forms, and (every couple of months) lean grass-fed meats.

I do think it's a good idea to reduce sugar, though. I'm going to try that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool people occasionally stop by to say: