Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Choices, choices; decisions, decisions

quilt top is above, backing is the sunflower fabric; sashing is to the right, border is to the left.
Ok, here's my problem. I can 't decide what to use as the border and what to use as the backing. I think I want to use the sunflower fabric as backing and the little leaves/twigs as border. The light yellow/green circle fabric to the right is going to be sashing. I have no one to ask about things like this. What do you think? Here's another picture to help you get the idea.
Just to review, this is my scrappy quilt that I'm going to practice free motion quilting on. It's going to be for my BonnieBlue, and all the fabrics were already in my collection.

Someday (post-tenure, knock on wood) I'm going to teach an extra class or seminar to earn some extra money and then just go out and buy fabrics that I think are beautiful, not with a particular project in mind. As it is, these are all left over from a stack-and-whack baby quilt I made 2 years ago.

So, back to the topic at hand, do you think it's okay that the backing will be strikingly different from the quilt top? There will be a tie-in: I don't have enough sunflower fabric and I have another row of the scrap fabric leftover, so I'm going to add it to the backing so that combined with the sunflowers, it'll be big enough. I saw this idea at one of the many quilt blogs I've been stalking (thanks again, Mama Pea), but I can't remember which one. I'll post a picture of my own when I get it sewn together.

2 comments:

  1. I think it depends on what look you are going for. I kind of really like the sunflowers as a border. It will really make the greens pop and give increased energy to the quilt. Maybe the downside is that there's blue in the border and no blue in the rest of the quilt. The twigs would give you a more subdued look(it will pull the yellow out more than the green). So, are you going for a bright look or a more subdued look?

    ReplyDelete
  2. bright, I'm going for bright

    a plus - BonnieBlue loves blue!

    ReplyDelete

Cool people occasionally stop by to say: