Friday, August 10, 2012

Egg Biscuit "Muffins"

I'm a food blogger wanna-be, but unfortunately I'm a marginal cook with very little time (although a lot of room) for improvement.

This morning, I impressed myself.

I read food blogs with a borderline obsessive-ness, though I only occasionally make any of the dishes/items I read about. It's sort of a relaxation thing, I guess.

I read. I look. I sometimes save in favorites or even copy and paste to my recipe file. I rarely follow through.

Today I followed through.

I had seen a few posts about baked egg "muffins" made with pre-made biscuit dough in cupcake tins. I can't remember on whose blogs I've seen these, and I scrolled through my digital recipe file without finding any recipes, so I can't credit the originator.

I do follow Our Best Bites, and I remember this post about ham and egg cups, using ham slice to hold the egg. A great idea for the gluten-intolerant and low carb eaters.

So, anyway, I've been thinking about the coming school year and BonnieBlue starting kindergarten. We'll be getting up early, on a schedule, the first time in her life. She doesn't like eating first thing in the morning, so I've been trying to think of things she and I can eat in the car on the way to school. She doesn't much like granola or cereal bars, and I wanted something with protein anyway. She will eat bacon and eggs, so I thought I'd try these egg-biscuit muffin cups.

I have moderately high cholesterol, so I didn't want to use a whole egg in each "muffin" but egg white alone is b-o-r-i-n-g tasting. So I mixed whole eggs with egg whites. In addition, my garden harvest is coming in, so I wanted to use up some green pepper, tomatoes and onions. The zuchinni is not from my garden. I love zuchinni, but the squash bugs were so bad this year we decided to take a year off from squash, zuchinni, and pumpkins.

The ingredients:


 It's important to use the jumbo biscuits, and not the smaller non-flaky kind. But, you do have to slice these biscuits down the center, keeping their circular shape, so that you have two round biscuits. I couldn't take a picture because I needed both hands for slicing.

  1. Spray oil in the cupcake tins.
  2. Flatten out the biscuits and lay them in the tins.
  3. Beat two eggs in a bowl and add 1/2 cup of egg white.
  4. Spoon a tablespoon or so into each biscuit.
  5. Add a little bit of each veggie and a bit of chopped bacon.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees for 14 minutes or until egg is done.
  7. Remove from oven and sprinkle a little bit of shredded cheese on top.
  8. Loosen from pan. Let cool a bit.
  9. Remove from pan when cool enough to touch and cool further on wire rack.


Unfortunately, BB wouldn't try one, so I had to eat hers. 

2 comments:

  1. They sound pretty good! How did you like them? E would like them, if you took out the peppers. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were delish. The problem is that our microwave is broken and we're having a tough time finding just the right one, so I had to freeze them so they wouldn't go bad. I haven't had one since that day! I made a couple of them with just egg, cheese, and bacon, hoping BB would eat one.

    ReplyDelete

Cool people occasionally stop by to say: