Monday, July 26, 2010

Tried to Run...

...as opposed to Born to Run.

I tried to run 2 miles today. I made it almost one mile before I had to walk. Then I alternated, more walking than running. It took me about 30 min, but I'm not sure about that because I forgot to check when I finished. At about the 1.5 mile marker I had to walk because my left knee began hurting. This is the story of my life. I try to get back into shape but something painful keeps me from enjoying it.

I want to run the Disney half-marathon next March, for no other reason than because I want to say I did. And what a fun half-marathon that is. This seems like an unattainable goal at this point. I've never run anything more than a 5k, and I've only done 2 of those. The best time for those was 34 min. As I was running this morning, I remembered back to when I was in the best shape of my life, high school, senior year. Even then, I was barely able to run a mile. I am just not a runner. I'm okay with that. I just can't decide if I should give up the goal of the half-marathon. Must dwell on that for awhile.

I made quite the yummy zucchini bread yesterday. Our garden is producing giant zucchini and squash. I don't know whether to pick 'em small or let 'em get big. By default, they're big because I haven't been dedicated at harvesting. We have tomatoes, too, but they aren't green yet. And pumpkins. We're at 4 and counting! I also planted one sad little green bean plant. Now that I know how little one produces, I'll know to plant more next year.

Here's the original recipe for the Zbread:
3 eggs, 1/2 c oil, 1/2 c applesauce, 2 c sugar
2Tbsn vanilla, 2 c shredded zucchini
3 c flour, 1Tbsn cinnamon, 1tsp baking soda, 1tsp baking powder, 1tsp salt

I reduced the sugar by an 1/8 of a cup. Next time, I'll reduce by a full half (doesn't seem like it should take 2 full cups of sugar to make zuc.bread). I also added a chopped apple, smashed almonds, and a mushy banana. I'm also going to add flaxseed or flaxseed flour next time.

I bring this (Zbread) up because it's what I've had to eat so far today, along with 2 cans of DC. (I had 20 oz of h20 before my run.) Not a banner day so far, but I've done much worse.

Bonni-Blu spent the night with G-ma last night, hence my ability to get out and run today. Someday I have to write about Bonni-Blu. But that is for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool people occasionally stop by to say: